We strongly encourage our students to participate in the Homestay program. Living with a Canadian family is the best way for you to improve your English, learn about our culture and adapt to a new life in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The Homestay Program's objective is to provide you with a warm welcome to Canada and lots of support while you adjust to a new culture.
Our homestay families are carefully chosen by our Accommodations Coordinator. Our families live in safe residential neighbourhoods within a 40 to 50 minute bus ride.
Homestay Information for Students
- Most families live outside of the downtown area in residential areas.
- You will have your own furnished room, for privacy and study.
- You can join the family in activities, and in the evenings for dinner and conversation.
- Your host family will provide you with 3 nutritious meals a day. You may be asked to prepare your own breakfast or lunch.
- Your family will help you discover Halifax and settle in.
- ECSL will try and match you with the most appropriate family. Please remember that we may not be able to meet all your preferences.
- Our Accommodations Coordinator is available to help you with any concerns.